Hello friends! Michele and Maureen here from KreativeKinship to share a mini slimline card using adorable images from My Favorite Things. Let’s get started!
The first decision for this project was determining the card size. Based on the size of the stamped images, we determined that a mini slimline would work best for our design so we cut a card panel from 80 lb. white cardstock that measured 3.25” x 6.25”. We wanted our card backdrop to be the side of a brick castle with a window, but we didn’t have a stencil on hand to help us with this part so we grabbed a pencil and sketched it out ourselves. This really wasn’t hard at all as we just had to draw a bunch of uneven rectangles.
Next, we cut out the inside of the window opening using a craft knife and then traced all the sketched detail using a brown fine tipped marker. All of the pencil lines were erased before moving to the next step.
Using some Post-It tape, we taped off about .75” of the bottom of the card and then randomly blended Distress ink over the panel until we were pleased with the result.
The tape was carefully removed and the bricks and grass were colored using Copic markers. The panel was trimmed down to 3” x 6”.
Using a Copic friendly ink, we stamped the Knight and dragon onto a piece of 80 lb. white cardstock and left the stamps on the platform of our Misti stamping tool so that we could restamp them when our coloring was complete. Note: We used the image of the Knight inside a dashed circle outline because it was slightly larger and better for our design. After inking this image (and before stamping it) we carefully wiped off the dashed outline around the head with a damp cloth. We then colored these two images with Copic markers.
The finished dragon was cut out using the coordinating die for this stamp set. A mask of the Knight was cut out from masking paper and placed over our colored image. Distress ink was blended over the knight to cover an area that would fill the entire window opening and the mask was then removed.
We added a drop shadow that would align along the one side of the window opening using a Copic marker (W4). This helps give the illusion of dimension.
To assemble, the knight was adhered behind the window opening of the background and adhered in place with foam adhesive squares. The right edge of the knight’s cardstock piece was trimmed to be flush with the background panel. Foam squares were added to the back of the background panel which was then adhered to a piece of Kraft colored cardstock that measured 3.25” x 6.25”.
The sentiment was stamped onto a piece of light gray cardstock. A fishtail edge was added to the sentiment strip with scissors and added to the card panel with foam adhesive squares. The dragon was also adhered in place with foam adhesive squares. The finished card panel was glued to a side-folding card base measuring 3.25” x 6.25” made with 120 lb. white cardstock with liquid adhesive.
We hope you enjoyed our project and it inspires you to give it a try.
Maureen and Michele
Stamping Tool: My Sweet Petunia - Misti
Black Ink: Tsukineko – VersaFine Clair Nocturne (sentiment and post coloring of images)
Memento – Tuxedo Black (pre coloring of images)
Brown Marker: Tombow Twintone – Chocolate
Liquid Adhesive: Bearly Art - Precision Craft Glue
Foam Adhesive Squares: 3L – 3D Foam Squares (White Variety Pack)
Window Drop Shadow – W4
White (stamped images and panel): Accent Opaque 80 lb
White Card base: Accent Opaque 120 lb